Free Delivery on all books at the Book Depository

Exam Experience from NZREX candidates

Did you take the NZREX recently? Do you want your experience to be featured on this website?

Use the "Contact Us" section on the right to send us an email!

Exam Experience - by Maha Zarroug

Exam Format
The format of the exam was pretty much the same as what it says on the website.

There were 16 stations and you had 10 minutes per station and 2mins to read the instructions. Halfway through (8 stations) there was a 6 min water and bathroom break.

I’m sorry if my details aren't complete as I am the kind of person who the second I leave the exam room everything becomes a blur. I will add if I can remember anything else, I anyone took the same exam please feel free to also add.

The Stations were roughly laid as follows.
4 Static Stations
3 History Taking
3 Clinical Examination
6 Clinical Reasoning/ Counselling

Pretty much ALL the cases (except for the static) were repeated from previous exams!! So go through the past exams!!

I felt that the static questions were similar in format to the PLAB 1 and Step 2 ck.

My View of the exam
I haven’t taken any other clinical exams so I can’t compare, but it didn’t seem to need much medical knowledge (i.e. exact diagnosis, details of procedures .. even in the statics). I think that was already assessed by the USLME/PLAB/AMQ. But it was more focused on your general approach to everything.

The NZREX didnt need much knowledge. It was more focused on your general approach to everything Maha Zarroug

All the actors and most of the examiners were really nice and would give you all the information u needed just LISTEN CAREFULLY!!

Advise
- Be professional, friendly, polite, empathetic - (oh, I’m sorry u feel that way .... hmm, that must have been unpleasant .... oh dear .. ) and unhurried - (even if you can’t finish). 

- Always introduce yourself professionally with a handshake and smile.
(Hello I’m Dr. XXXX I’m the XXX in the ward/ ER today, how can I help you today?)

- ALWAYS thank the patient when you’re done!!!

- Sometimes time runs out, in these cases, I would finish up what I was saying, wish the patient well and politely thank the patient and leave. If the time was too long and there was an awkward pause after asking the patient if they had anything to add, I would talk about the patients occupation and advise about social habits smoking/ exercise / alcohol , etc.  usually the examiner would take pity on me and say that if I was finished I could wait outside.

Counseling Tips
- Ask the patient why they are at the hospital
- Ask what they know about the situation (test results/diagnosis, etc.)
- What the patient’s concerns are
- THEN talk about the condition
- Always ask if the patient understands, if they want you to go over anything again if there is anything that they need to clarify
- Say that you'll give the patient pamphlets / literature to go through at home and that they can call u at any time to further discuss
- Always ask if there is anything further that they need to discuss.

History taking
- Summarize both to give yourself time to think and to allow the patient to add anything.
- Always ask the patient at the end if there is anything else that that feel u haven’t covered, or that they would like to tell you.

Physical examination
- Always do a quick general examination ( vitals / p/j/c/ JVP / LN/ LL oedema)
- Ask the patient if it’s alright for you to talk while examining them.
- Tell the examiner what you’re doing and if possible why you’re doing it.

I know that usually in cases like these there would be 10’s of differentials, but unfortunately I could only remember 2 MAXIMUM, One examiner just looked at me and waited, I was never happier to hear the bell ring in my life!!! ;) of course, the second I came out of the examining room it would all come rushing back !! lol.
I think the best way to prepare for this exam is to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! Maha Zarroug
10 minutes can seem like an awfully long time in some cases and an awfully short time in others. You need to have a general plan in your head so that you can go through everything smoothly. If your English is not very good, practice cases with friends speaking only in English so that u get into the habit. Also, try to watch some NZ news or movies because the accent is a bit different from either the British or the American ( not very different but a bit).

In any case where the patient asks you for something specific that you don’t know NEVER LIE, always say that you’re not sure at the moment but you’ll talk to your superior and get back to them.

GOOD LUCK!!!
-Maha Z.
(exam questions edited out to comply with our website policies)

1 comment :